Friday, March 09, 2007

Quotes & Links

From AJ Hoge writing at Hobopoet comes this acknowledgment:
What this little experiment has taught me is that the key to being a successful micro-preneur is simply this-- START. I can't tell you how many years I wasted THINKING about starting my own little project. I dreamed. I analyzed. I planned.

I suppose these activities had some psychological value-- helping me overcome doubts, fears, and hesitations.. but thats about it. Beyond that, it was just a lot of wasted time and energy.

The key to becoming financially independent is not a super idea, or a genius plan, or the amazing thing that no one else has ever thought of. The key is to simply start something-- anything. Just start and then adapt. That's all it really takes.
Read the full post here. Explore AJ's new venture site here.

From Rhea writing at the Boomer Chronicles the seltzer comes gushing:

Do you remember I wrote about bottled water a couple of weeks ago and why we shouldn’t be buying it?

That got me to thinking. If I want to curb my bottled-water buying, why am I still buying seltzer? I live on the stuff. The seltzer with the lime flavor, the seltzer with the black cherry flavor, the seltzer with the cranberry flavor, and so on.

Then I remembered there are little machines you can buy to make seltzer at home. I went online and did some research. I found the Soda Club, a company that’s been making seltzer makers since 1903.

Read the full post here.

From Grammar Girl who has a blog and accompanying podcast:

I know it's upsetting to find out that your nearest and dearest beliefs are wrong, so this week, I'm going to talk about my own mistaken pet peeve: it bugs me to no end when people use “while” to mean “although,” but no matter how hard I looked I couldn't convince myself that I was right. The horror!

You see, I think “although” means “in spite of the fact that,” as in “Although Sir Fragalot was tall, Squiggly and the aardvark considered him an equal.” “Although” is what's called a concessive conjunction, meaning that it is used to express a concession. On the other hand, I think that “while” should be reserved to mean “at the same time,” as in “While Squiggly gathered wood, aardvark hid the marimbas.”

To find out the last work on 'although' vs. 'while', check out the full posting.

That's all for now folks, enjoy the language and water sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment