Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Leftover creativity

I don't like to waste food so there are many re-uses other than simply re-heating and serving leftovers. Here is a sample of some that come along and what I like to do with them.

Not that we'll change to this a food site but let's see where food does get us.

Leftover -> Re-use
Baked potato -> home fries
Ham bone -> pea soup
old bananas -> banana bread
old bread -> bread pudding
ham slices -> ham hash or ham omelets (or both)


If you have different uses or other suggestions, please share.

4 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of pea soup and banana bread, so I wouldn't think of doing anything else with the ham bone and old bananas, but I have variations for the others.

    baked potato > potato-sausage hash
    ham bone > pea soup
    old bananas > banana bread
    old bread > stuffing
    ham slices > green eggs and ham [my boy is four]

    And here is my bonus:
    chicken > chicken salad with Cholula hot sauce, [real] mayo, black pepper and chopped jalapenos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy, those are appetizing suggestions!

    When my kids were that age we did "face" pancakes. Dropping the bater on the pan to make eyes, nose, and smilely or crazy mouth, then the remainder of the batter to fill out the face. When you turned it over, the face was looking at you!

    Of course, the batter in this case was not made with leftovers but the kids (and dad) had great fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:45 PM

    You guys...

    How can you make bread out of bananas?

    Can't even imagine it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felix, I'll put the recipe out in separate post. Bananas are one key ingrediant but it also uses flour, eggs, baking powder, etc. to make the bread.

    ReplyDelete