Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Banana Bread

As mentioned earlier in leftover creativity, Banana Bread is a good use of old bananas. The older the bananas, the easier they are to mash up and use in this recipe. One of my friends commented:
How can you make bread out of bananas?

Can't even imagine it.
Well Felix, this recipe is for you! This recipe has been kicking around the family for years. It is a clipping from some long forgotten newspaper. The newsprint is yellowing under the tape and plastic protecting it on the recipe index card.

Banana Nut Bread

Ingredients:
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups ripe banana, mashed (about 3 medium bananas)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Processing:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Cream margarine and sugar together.
Add eggs, beat well.
Peel bananas, mash well in a bowl.

Sift dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt)
Add to egg mixture alternately with banana, mixing well after each addition.
Stir in nuts.

Scape batter into 9x5 inch loaf pan well-greased.
Bake 50-60 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out of the center clean.

Remove to rack to cool.

Steve's modifications

For the flour, I substitute my "enriched" flour which in this case is a combination of 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup unbleached flour, 1/2 cup wheat germ, 1/4 cup corn meal.

For the nuts, I usually substitute chocolate chips. Yes, the same kind that is used for cookies. If you really like chocolate, you can be more generous than called for (1/2 cup).


Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:51 PM

    Wow. You are quite an expert, Steve. I will try, but I cannot anticipate the result. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't call myself an expert. I feel more like someone who really likes to practice cooking. Of course, it helps that I like to eat so there is very little wasted effort or product there. And if I cook well, run enough, and eat properly, then I don't have to worry about my waist. A win-win situation for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my fave to bake and eat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tisha,

    I am glad you like it. Banana bread is a regular item in the household here.

    Do you create any variations?

    ReplyDelete