Sunday, January 30, 2005

Yo-Yo Ma Quotes and two challenges

This Sunday's Parade Magazine cover features cellist Yo-Yo Ma.

(Side note: the link to Parade is to their Archive section but the article itself won't be posted until February 7th. )

The article begins with this quote from Ma :

"I think that one of the best lessons that I received from my parents is to have the ability to understand the world beyond yourself. Since my parents were immigrants, they knew a number of different worlds. There's always an awareness that you're a part of things much bigger than yourself."

...

"So much of human expression is longing. You're trying to go toward something-- some sort of vision. As parents, as human beings, as citizens, we're always trying to think. Where is our country? Where is the world? What could it be? What are the little things we can do that could actually move things in a good way?"

This was a nice way to start this Sunday morning. I realized as soon as I read it that this was something to connect to what I have been writing and thinking about.

So I propose two challenges. You can accept one or both, or just read them, and pass them by.

First challenge: What was the single best advice your parents provided? And if the best advice was not from your parents, that's okay. I'd like to hear the best advice, period.

Second challenge: What is one of the "little things" that you can do to actually move things in a good way?

You can reply via comment or email. I'll compile the replies for each challenge and post them here in the coming week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment