Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Find common ground so quickly around common passions

Good quote (the Bold is my emphasis):

"The surprise: I've been under the impression that there's a simmering conflict between bloggers and wikipedians. Bloggers tend to be building their personal brands; wikipedians tend to follow a self-effacing, monastic model of knowledge.

But this conference reminded me that both camps are firmly in the 'amateur' camp - where 'amateur' doesn't mean 'unprofessional', but 'motivated by love, not by financial remuneration'. I was surprised and pleased to see bloggers and wikipedians find common ground so quickly around common passions.

The reminder: Most ideological conflicts look much smaller when groups that disagree meet in the same room. And even smaller when they eat dinner together."

This quote from Ethan Zuckerman, via Jay Rosen's three part recap of the Blogging, Journalism, and Credibility Conference last week at Harvard. Part One. Part Two. Part Three.

I like the surprise part.

I like the reminder part.

I like the finding common ground around common passions. I think that this can be applied to more than just bloggers and wikipeidians. I believe other passionate opposites could find some common ground if they chose to look for them.

What do you think?
Are there two opposites that would not find common ground?

No comments:

Post a Comment