Thursday, January 20, 2005

Sugar Coated Day

Laura Carlo, the voice on WCRB 102.5 in the morning, described New England today as like a sugar coated doughnut. We got a nice coating or dusting of 2-3" of powdery snow beginning late yesterday and ending during the night.

I was up early to run this morning, first time in a while because I am scheduled to go out after work tonight and that would mean missing my normal run. With the meet coming up Sunday, I need this workout today, even though it is a light one. So I went slipping and sliding with each foot step on the freshly plowed but still snow covered roads. My running "warm down" today was shoveling the driveway. Good arm and upper body work.

Driving was alternating frustration and pleasure. The roads were clear but wet and the spay kept messing the windshield. (Mental reminder to refill the windshield washer tank before heading home tonight.) Around some of the curves, you would catch the sun coming up, adding its sparkle to the snow covered trees. As the day progresses, the sun will begin to melt this tree frosting and the branches will shed some of their load, changing the pretty picture that is is now.

This reminds me of Julie Andrews singing "A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down..." in the Sound of Music.

I was also reminded this week that Yoda (yes, from Star Wars) said "Do, or not do, there is no 'try'."

Thanks Laura, for sugar coating the start to my day! I believe the rest of the day will go down well now.

No comments:

Post a Comment