Sunday, February 22, 2009

English quiz

From the Rhode Island Spring Flower & Garden Show flier comes the following introductory passage. See if you can find your way to the grammatical mistake:
Pack your passports, bags, cameras and binoculars. Get ready to discover a side of nature you've never seen before, at the 16th Annual Rhode Island Spring Flower & Garden Show. "Gardens of the World" is the Show's theme, which takes you on a journey through distant and exotic places. You show "passport" transports you through 30 gardens and an expedition to the Australia Outback, over to Mexico and South America with Mayan and Incan ruins, and into Tuscany, Spain and more. Don't miss your ticket to a horticultural melting pot that brings adventure, warmth and beauty, all with a promise of spring.
Several people must have missed that. Did you find it?


Hint: They did fix it on the web site but many pamphlets were printed incorrectly.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:08 AM

    Hi Steve….

    I am one of Ronni’s regular visitors and after reading her post this morning dropped by. I am not sure why I haven’t come by before. I normally follow links and check them out to see if there is common ground with a fellow blogger. Anyway…..

    This particular post caught my eye. It seems to me that other than the ‘you’ problem, there are a couple of other things that caught my eye also. One was where they wrote ‘…is the Show’s theme’. I am not sure why they capitalized the word ‘show’. The other is the ‘comma’ they inserted in the second sentence after the word “before”.

    Now trust me, I'm no grammatical guru for I am sure I make my share of obvious errors. But there are times when they do seem to jump out at us regardless. And usually…. they’re someone else’s since it’s often harder to catch your own!

    We have a local television station whose website sometimes leaves me hysterical with some of their grammatical errors. One that I recall was when they were trying to write what the alcohol content was of a driver arrested for DWI. For the specific content number, whenever there was a referenced ‘zero’ they were writing ‘oh’. Example: 0.20 would have been written “oh point two oh”. It was so funny!

    In keeping with the spirit of Ronni’s post this morning however, “Nice to meet you.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan, thanks for stopping by. No problem about not following links, like you I visit Ronni's site frequently but can only follow so many links. One good reason for getting up each day is to go visit and explore some more!

    On Show, not sure why they did either. Maybe they were hearing a former teacher's voice in mind saying to do so.

    Errors are definitely easier to spot in someone's writing. It takes work to come back to your own writing with that critical eye approach.

    On the TV station errors, I wonder if they were also using a voice to text software which hadn't been tuned properly. Otherwise, human error can be avoided with patience and time.

    Alan, you have now given me the extra incentive to follow your link. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete