Monday, December 15, 2008

job search notes: get in the rhythm

Daily life has a new rhythm for me today.

Work recently had a rhythm based upon the budget and calendar year. The budget cycle was always important. Once it was set, then quarters had some significance but the monthly reporting cycle drove most of the weekly and day to day requirements. One of the responsibilities I had was program management for a set of security initiatives with a monthly read-out to senior management. The week of the read-out was busy as the read-out required the coordination of all the other project status reports (as well as my own). I had a great resource as project manager so he could do our presentation while I focused on coordinating the others to ensure that their story was crisp and to the point.

This was in addition to the normal work required for my own security project. The scope of our project was broad reaching and long term. The problem had built up over the years and wasn't going to be resolved over night. We were making good progress on keeping up with the day to day issues and implementing a more sustainable solution for the long haul. The cooperation and collaboration with dozens of folks made the work relatively easy to do.

All that is past now. The short term focus is on family, the holidays and determining my own work plan for the future. My father's health has required attention. His vision is failing and he shouldn't be driving. Doctor visits and trips to the local mall to do his exercise walks take time, but it is time well spent.

The study (now painted and newly carpeted) will start getting put back together to be the new home office and center point for the job search which will begin in earnest in the new year.

My own exercise routine has been re-established. Narcessian weight work twice a week, running three days a week, and walks with Dolores on the weekend (in addition to walks with Dad) are scheduled and completed.

The ankle brace has been successful thus far. I will face the real test in mid-January or early February when I get up to running more than 5 miles (currently doing 2.5 to 3 successfully). If I get past that 5-7 mile mark with no issues, then I should be able to plan the year with a good 5K a month and revisit my favorites.

Local blogging for Franklin Matters has its own monthly cycle of town meetings.
  • Town council the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays.
  • School committee the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays.
  • Financial Planning Committee 1st and 3rd Thursdays.
The Energy $ense series and other special meetings like WASTED provide additional opportunities.

Bottom line, my time during the day is allocated amongst the family priorities, Franklin Matters, and social networking to prepare for the job search.

Do you have a rhythm in your life?

Do you set priorities for time allocation?


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment