Thursday, December 02, 2004

Steve's TIB #2

This I Believe #2

When I come back from a good run, I turn the corner and start to walk down the block to my house. I catch my breath, check out the neighborhood, check out the sky and whatever configuration of clouds there is, and finally give thanks with a simple prayer that I have crafted over the years.

"Thank you Lord for watching over me, guiding me,
and giving me the strength to run today.
Continue to watch over me, guide me,
and give me the strength to do your will."

Short, simple, direct.

The family traveled to South Dakota in August of 2003 to spend just over a week exploring in and around the Black Hills while camped at Custer State Park. When we visited the Crazy Horse Memorial, I was startled to find a prayer that was very similar to my own.

Prayer to the Great Spirit

Oh Great Spirit, giver of all life,
you have always been and before you nothing has been.
Look and smile upon us your children,

so that we may live this day to serve you.
Watch over my relatives,
the red, black, white, and brown.
Sweeten my heart and fill me with light this day.
Give me strength to understand and eyes to see.
Help me Great Spirit for without you, I am nothing.

by Paul War Cloud

A little more elaborate, more inclusive but to the same point.

Hence, this I believe: there is one all wonderful and powerful being. S/he goes by many names, his/her followers claim many paths. But basically when you sift through all the religious rigmarole, there is just one that powers us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment