Monday, October 09, 2017

Columbus Day, time to explore

Knowing that I had not posted an audio recording for a while (actually since June) I was surprised to read a recent email from AudioBoom about changes to the account. The free version I had been using apparently changed on Aug 30 and since I haven't used it since then, and haven't accepted the new terms and conditions, I am in an interesting spot.

The terms and conditions concern me:

What permissions am I giving when I post?
You’re giving us free, non-exclusive, worldwide, transferable permission (including the right to sub-licence that permission) to:
  • use, copy, adapt, amend, publish, transmit, display and make the whole or any part of it available in any form, by any media, whether on a commercial or non-commercial basis, including the right to add advertising to that content, provided you have opted into our advertising agreement. You accept that this permission, allows us to make your content available to the rest of the world via the platform and through our embed functionality (or any other distribution method now known or later developed) on third party platforms and services and for the content to be listened to and used in accordance with the functionality of our services and
  • edit and take excerpts from it to incorporate into promotional content to promote the platform, third parties that advertise via the platform and/or other providers of content to the platform, in all formats and in all media.

I have no intention of giving them the rights outlined. I have been keeping an ad free platform since the beginning and will continue to do so. I have no problem with paying for a service., However a service that grants ability to "use, copy, adapt, amend, publish, transmit, display and make the whole or any part of it available in any form, by any media, whether on a commercial or non-commercial basis" is not something I will do.

I will resume audio posts but use a different service to do so.

Happy exploring this Columbus Day!

Columbus Day, time to explore
Columbus Day, time to explore


No comments:

Post a Comment