Friday, February 29, 2008

Amaryllis correction: Hippeastrum

My amaryllis series should be renamed.
Hippeastrum is a genus of about 70-75 species and 600+ hybrids and cultivars of bulbous plants in the family Amaryllidaceae, native to tropical and subtropical regions of the Americas from Argentina north to Mexico and the Caribbean. Some species are grown for their large showy flowers. These plants are popularly but erroneously known as Amaryllis, an African genus in the same family.
from wikipedia

This was a busy week and even though I found out about this correction to be made on Tuesday, it has taken until now (Friday night) to sit and cover this in detail.

I had checked the spelling of amaryllis using Google but didn't follow any links until Karen commented that she had not known the name of the plant until she read about it here. I went checking to see if Australia was a good climate for it and found the picture on the Amaryllis entry not looking like the ones I had taken. As I read further I found about hippeastrum, followed that links and the picture there closely resembles what we had in the house.

Dolores did bring it back to school this week. It is also getting a third stem! I hope her kindergarten friend enjoy the explosive growth that it provides.

So anyway, long story short; it is a hippeastrum (not amaryllis).

Now I need to come up with another sherku for hippeastrum!

No comments:

Post a Comment