Saturday, March 25, 2006

CoComment Problems

I was wondering what happened to CoComment. When I pulled up my own pages, the CoComment section did not fil in. When I tried to use CoComment, I got nothing in response. No error message, no nothing.
 
Now, I finally find this posting on their own blog:

We current face massive DNS problems to www.cocomment.com. We are currently hosting our DNS as joker.com and they issued the following statement

Joker.com currently experiences massive distributed denial of service attacks against nameservers.
This affects DNS resolution of Joker.com itself, and also domains which make use of Joker.com nameservers.
We are very sorry for this issue, but we are working hard for a permanent solution.
Thank you for your understanding.

Unfortunately, we are also affected by this and cocomment.com is thus often not reachable from various locations. We are currently trying to move our DNS to another hoster, but that unfortunately takes time and as joker is quite busy it’s probably even harder than usual.

We are really sorry about this and apologize for any inconvenience you encounter. We hope the situation goes back to normal soon.

They have my email address. They could have sent me and each other user an email. Email is still functioning.
 
Maybe next time. (Oh, and while I hope there won't be one soon in this technical world, something will happen.)
 
 
Technorati Tags : , ,
Powered By Qumana

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:34 PM

    Liz here from I Speak of Dreams -- I wondered what was wrong but lacked the will to track down an answer. Thanks!

    I hope it gets back up soon, I was just getting used to the ease of keeping track of what I was saying elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:07 AM

    We unfortunately had some serious problems with our DNS, as you have found out.

    Of course we could have sent out a mail, but first we did not want to spam everybody with mails they might not be too interested about, and second for quite some time we did not really know what was going on.
    We were not informed by Joker that they have denial of service attacks and the server was usually reachable quite well from our machines here (probably because the DNS was cachted). Our alerting tool informed us that the service is not always reachable from some parts of the world but we did not know the reason for that. Unfortunately, at about the same time we moved to different servers, thus we were not quite sure what the problem might be.

    When we got the information about the DNS issues, we tried to switch to another DNS as soon as possible, but this did take quite a lot more time than we thought.

    But you are right that we have to improve our communication strategy. Although I also hope that such a thing will not happend again, it is reasonable to assume that something similar will appear again.

    I apologize for the bad communication we did and I hope we can improve that in the future.

    ReplyDelete