Friday, March 21, 2008

Berkman: Study Alcove


Berkman: Study Alcove, originally uploaded by shersteve.



The alcove was empty.
Quiet.
It was a little after 5:00 PM.
Lisa Stone is due to speak at 6:00 PM in the West Lecture Hall just around the corner.

I settle onto the bench and begin reading one of my magazines. A gentleman comes along lookng about, not sure where he is or if he is finding what he wants. He asks if Lisa will be speaking here. I confirm yes, and that nothing is set up yet. As we talk I think I recognize him but am not positive. If it is who I think it is, why is he asking these questions? He goes into the room. I confirm later that it was who I thought it was: Doc Searles introduces Lisa.

A few minutes go by. A lady comes by, similarly looking for the Lisa's talk. We chat and confirm she is in the proper place. She sits and we continue talking finding much in common.

Other than being in the same place to hear the same person. She also blogs. She also knows Beth Kantor. She comes from a small town in Western MA. We talk about prop 2 1/2, building community, and discovering common ground. We exchange cards and go into the hall to get our seats for Lisa's talk.

The alcove and bench is not so empty after all.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:47 AM

    sweet.

    Sometimes the wall to saying hello is 10 feet tall and insurmountable and sometimes there is only openings. reminds me of Rose is Rose cartoons.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you. That is a decent cartoon. A new cartoon find for me that I am liking a lit is Frazz.

    If you haven't seen it before, I think it is worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete