Monday, January 03, 2011

3 Words - 2011

Chris got me started on this in 2009.  I continued in 2010.

And now, I have chosen my three words for 2011: analogy, bold, conduct.

Why?
What's behind these three words?


Those are fair questions so let me explain what I think I am about so you can help keep me honest this year.

Analogy - I need to do better at telling stories. I can deal with the facts. I can be creative and come up with an analogy to help explain something to someone. I need to do more of this. Find the analogy. Build the story!

Bold - In some circumstances, I don't hesitate to step forward and take the lead or do what it is necessary. In some I hesitate. I need to be bolder. I am confident with what I can do and how I can add value. I just need to be a little more forward, in more circumstances, more frequently.

Conduct - This is the verb, to conduct. The conductor of an orchestra creates the tempo and coaches the individual musicians on when they come in, how they play together. I have some opportunities already lining up where it will be good to be the conductor. I don't need to be in the spotlight. I need to be able to coach the folks around me to be as bold and step forward to do it. They can.

I am looking forward to 2011. These three words should be the themes around which all the individual goals and objectives fall in line.

2011 can be a very good year. I have the vision of what it can be. I'll need your help to keep me honest about staying on track. Don't be bashful about asking for help. Don't be bashful about telling me where I am not fulfilling your expectations!



Photo from Flickr by Phantom of the flicks