Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Communter Rail WiFi

Yes, I had heard it was coming and was disappointed to see that the Worcester/Framingham Line was getting it first but lucked out yesterday and today by catching a train with one of the pilot cars on the Franklin Line.

Connection was easy.

Connection speed is okay (better today than yesterday).

I wouldn't count on downloading anything of significant size.

The T should also reconsider the accessiblity of their own website. They have posted maps perporting to show the WiFi coverage for each line. I tried opening one yesterday and one stop later gave up. I'll go back some time to see (on a real good connection) just how large the file is. I don't dare waste any more time on this connection.

I was in the main car on the train yesterday and had an "Excellent" connection (Microsoft terms). I was one car in front of the pilot car today and had a "Very Good" connection.

The connection both times was reported to be 11Mbps. The connection was similar to a real good dial up and okay for text emails. Anything with heavy graphics (are you listening T!) takes time, more so than on a regular cable connection.

For a free service, occaisional access to email will be helpful and beneficial. I won't plan on getting any real work done at this connection strength.

Oh, and to confirm, this was composed and posted on the train. Wow!

Note: for some reason the spell check is failing on this connection. I'll come back with my normal connection and fix any I miss now.