Thursday, September 13, 2012

Walk the talk

As you may know, it wasn't that long ago that I spent the better part of two years looking for work. The process was long and frustrating especially since most of the applications I submitted for open positions were never acknowledged. Days, weeks, months went by and I could only assume that since I had not heard from the company, I was not going to be part of their operation.

I don't often get to hire someone but now that the Franklin Food Pantry is looking for a Director of Development, I have a chance. As part of the process coordinating with the Board, I want to see that everyone who applies gets an acknowledgment of their interest. Most, if not all, will get a validation phone call to confirm their desire and set expectations around the salary.

We are a non-profit and can't pay much but do have something to offer that we think will be worthy of the position. We currently don't provide health benefits but if we continue to be able to build sustaining revenue, which this individual will be instrumental in, then that is up for consideration.

The 'short-list' of candidates will get an opportunity to interview with some members of the Board and our Operations Director. After the interviews, we'll compare notes, discuss the candidate pros/cons and make a decision.

Acknowledgement of the candidates interest and then a follow up to let them know of their status is very important. The job market is still tough. There are so many well qualified folks looking. We need to do our part properly. We will. I will make sure of that.


No comments:

Post a Comment