If you are out and about shopping, listen to what is going on around you. Identify someone you would want to interview, even for a few minutes. Make their day better!
If you are with family, this is a good time to find out what happened in the 'old days', how they did it when they were growing up, etc.
The Story Corp publishes a free guide to this listening project with great tips on how to do the interview:
- Listen closely. Look your storyteller in the eyes. Smile. Stay engaged.
- Stick with the good stuff. Try to keep to the topics that move you. If the current topic isn’t what you wanted to put on tape, gently steer the conversation in another direction.
- Ask emotional questions. Asking “How does this make you feel?” often elicits interesting responses. Don’t be afraid to ask.
- Respect your subject. If there is a topic that your interview partner doesn’t want to talk about, respect his or her wishes and move on.
- Take notes during the interview. Write down questions or stories you might want to return to later.
- Be curious and honest, and keep an open heart. Great things will happen.
Who will you listen to today?