Friday, March 05, 2010

job search notes: Dr Seuss extends the alphabet

Don't you just love Dr Seuss? Why, he even provides advice for those doing the job search!

How does he do that? In his own rhyming way of course!

In On Beyond Zebra,  Conrad Cornelius o'Donald o'Dell takes us beyond the letter Z. While most would classify this work as literary nonsense, it has great advice for those of us on the job search.


"You can stop, if you want, with the Z.
Because most people stop with the Z
But not me!"


So many avenues of thought can come from this simple concept of going beyond Z!

Thinking outside the box is not a trite buzzword. The concept is great. Approach something differently, approach it with child like eyes and see what you see! It is a new world to explore.
"In the places I go, there are things that I see
That I never could spell if I stopped with the Z
I'm telling you this 'cause you're one of my friends
My alphabet starts where your alphabet ends!"

Read the Long Tail!

Define your niche!
"I lead him around and tried hard to show
There are things beyond Z that most people don't know
I took him past Zebra. As far as I could.
And I think, perhaps, maybe I did him some good...
Because finally he said,
'This is really great stuff!
    And I guess the old alphabet
         just isn't enough!'"



Define (and then work to establish) your personal brand.
Be consistent! Be deliberate.


Be you!

Note: the quotes are from On Beyond Zebra by Dr Seuss published in 1955


Other entries in this Dr Seuss Series for job searchers can be found here