Sunday, April 08, 2007

Easter Welcome


The story has it that the pineapple was a "welcome" symbol for the clipper ship captains when they returned home from a voyage to their New England home port; Boston, Salem, Newport, etc. The captain would stick a pineapple on the front stair post and thereby neighbors and friends would know the captain was home.

It is cool today in New England, about 35 F so it won't be too inviting to sit outside and have a conversation.

If you do visit, make yourself comfortable amongst the archives.

3 comments:

  1. Somebody told me today that this is the first time Easter has been colder than Xmas. Wow. Also, I have heard that pineapple 'welcome' thing before. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhea,
    In my life time, I think I'd have to agree that this is the first Easter that has been colder than Christmas.

    I like the pineapple story. I have had a fascination for the seas/sailing since I was little and heard the story when I did a tour of Salem some years ago. I also like the fruit itself so it seemed a nice combination to post about today.

    Thanks for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:38 PM

    oh, i just love that pineapple :-)

    ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete