Sunday, August 27, 2006

Is it discrimination, or righteous appraisal?

In the BostonWorks section of today's Sunday Globe, I find one of the better writings I have seen on this topic. Short, concise, to the point. I encourage reading the full article (free registration maybe required). As a sample of what you'll find, Dale Dauten closes his article with the following:

Just be careful not to confuse age discrimination with a natural discernment against some characteristics that might be associated with age -- being a know-it-all, having an income level ahead of the market, or being worn-out or out-of-date. Nobody wants to hire someone old -- that is, someone used up . It isn't age discrimination, it's a righteous assessment of energy per dollar of salary.

But who's old? Katie Couric? She turns 50 in January, but I hear she's doing OK, careerwise. Is John McCain old? He's 69 and a cancer survivor, but I'd love to work with him. And my favorite TV show (``CBS Sunday Morning") is hosted by a 73-year-old, Charles Osgood.

The problem isn't being 50 or 60 or 70; it's being old. So I have a few suggestions on how to not be old, and I welcome any others you'd care to suggest:

No one is old when planting flowers.

No one is old when singing.

No one is old when riding a bike.

No one is old when buying a new suit.

And, my favorite:

No one is old when telling a joke.

To age gracefully is to turn down a lot of chances to be old.

The message: keep active, live life to its fullest as you wake eash day!

 
 
Powered By Qumana

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:42 PM

    I certainly agree with you about these thoughts on being old. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete