Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Long Black Veil made the road easy

Coming back home from our friend's home in Central PA on Sunday, the drive was made easier listening to the Chieftains collaborative album, The Long Black Veil.

I think of all the music I have, this is my favorite album/CD. (Followed closely by Paul Simon's Graceland, Billy Joel's River of Dreams, Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks, Joni Mitchells' Miles of Aisles, Eileen Ivers' Crossing the Bridge, and Nancy Griffith's Blue Roses from the Moon) (More on these choices some other time.)

The line up of folks playing this great music with the Chieftains is an all-star one. Yet for all the "star power", the music is what matters. The songs are played (in my mind) to a defined perfection. Someone else may sing it again but for me, this is how I remember the song.

1. Mo Ghile Mear (Our Hero) (with Sting)

2. The Long Black Veil (with Mick Jagger)

3. The Foggy Dew (with Sinéad O' Connor)

4. Have I told You Lately That I Love You? (with Van Morrison)

5 Changing Your Demeanour

6. The Lily of the West (with Mark Knopfler)

7. Coast of Malabar (with Ry Cooder)

8. Dunmore Lassies (with Ry Cooder)

9. Love is Teasin' (with Marianne Faithfull) Madam Cole

10. He Moved Through the Fair (with Sinéad O' Connor)

11. Ferny Hill

12. Tennessee Waltz/Tennessee Mazurka (with Tom Jones)

13. The Rocky Road to Dublin (with The Rolling Stones)



Of all the music you have, what one album (or CD) would you claim as your favorite?


No comments:

Post a Comment