Monday, May 09, 2005

A Sense of Place

Where are you from?
What do you call home?

This sense does change over time.

I can see this now, that I pause and look back on my own life.
As I grow older, I no longer refer to myself as a Rhode Islander.
I do occasionally as one "born in RI" but since I live in Massachusetts now,
that is where I am from, even though I have still lived longer in RI (29 years)
than MA (9 years), New Jersey (13 years) and Illinois (18 months).

Ronni's posting today makes sense.
We happen to be struggling with the in-laws
who can't continue to live in a two story house,
yet won't accept this and agree to find
a one-floor condo or something other than the house.

"A sense of place is woven into the being of an elder in ways that adults have a hard time understanding."

This could have been written for our current family situation.

We (the kids) do not understand why they (Mom and Dad)
can't accept the simple fact
that Dad can not afford to fall down the stairs again.

Thanks, Ronni for helping to see this.

I have a new avenue to try now.

No comments:

Post a Comment