Thursday, February 03, 2005

Seth has a series on the Great Job

Seth Godin has a series on the Great Job. You can find parts one, two and three.

But don't go away just yet, I need to provide my two cents. :)

One of the things I am passionate about is the wow experience, the great project, the great job. I am fortunate to have had several good ones and others that, at a minimum, have provided great earning experiences for the next step. FireCaptain Bob, a motivational speaker I heard at a Help Desk Institute Conference a couple of years ago, said that if you were not on vacation you should be planning your next one. This is good advice for one who lives in a stressful environment.

I would paraphrase his advice to say we really should be planning for our next job while we are working hard (and smartly) on this one.

You can do that by defining who you are; by knowing and accepting the person you see in the mirror. By defining your reason to be. Answering the question: Why do I exist?

Once defined, you need to establish your network. Who do you know? What do they do? Who do they know? It can be as easy as the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Then do something special. Be a purple cow.

Once the network is enabled, you can let the net work.

No comments:

Post a Comment