Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Goal Scoreboard

Okay, I got a little silly this morning with the Free Prize idea and the round tuit. But sometimes, all you need to get started is a little incentive, like a round tuit. Okay, so it was corny. But it works.

Another way to provide some incentive is this idea of a goal scoreboard. Thanks for the posting Steve!

Simple to implement. You need a goal of course. And it needs to be measurable. But then you can track your progress over time.

My running log provides a good way for me to keep track of the days and miles I run. Occasionally, I track the time for particular workout routes to note progress. If you don't measure it, you can't find out how you are doing. By recording the time for a route, I found that my average mile time improved by 10 second per mile over the last five months. Not bad! I still have a ways to go to get where I would like to be but I am making progress.

I do not obsess about it but it is good to check it out periodically.

What would you put on your scoreboard?

No comments:

Post a Comment