Sunday, December 26, 2004

"The Fred Factor" - Mark Sanborn

I heard Mark Sanborn deliver a keynote address a few years ago at a HDI Conference. I bought the conference tape and have listened to it periodically. It is always a good refresher on what should be done to deliver exceptional service.

Fred was a real person, he was Mark's postman. Mark traveled frequently and Fred took care of his mail for him in ways that Mark did not expect. Via Tom Peters, I hear that Mark has published a book on the Fred Factor. I guess I missed it when it came out earlier this year.

So here are the four principles driving the Fred Factor.
1 - Everyone makes a difference.
The only question at the end of the day is “What kind of difference did you make?”

2 - Everything is built on relationships.
Go beyond simply interacting with customers and colleagues to build relationships.

3 - You must continually create value for others, and it doesn’t have to cost a penny.
You can replace money with imagination. The objective is to outthink your competition rather than outspend them.

4 - You can reinvent yourself regularly.
No matter what job you hold, what industry you work in or where you live in the world, you wake up every morning “tabala rasa,” with a blank slate, and you can make your business and your life anything you choose.

I recommend visiting the Fred Factor web site for more info on Fred and obtaining the book at you favorite book store. I have not read it yet but after having heard Mark speak, I am sure it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment