Friday, December 24, 2004

Catching up - Permission Marketing

Caught this paragraph from Seth Godin's posting on 12/15/04. He writes:

"Every year, Jim Lewi does a conference in Aspen about and for the music business. This year, they asked me to come out and speak with them.

The conference is off the record, but one attendee (Bob Lefsetz) put together a summary (at times a little salty, so don't read if your ears are sensitive) and sent it to some press folks. Here it is, unedited:"

(The writing is Bob's. The bold is mine for emphasis.)

"It's all about permission marketing. Getting people to ALLOW you to sell to them. All the old wave marketing. On TV. It no longer works. Because of CLUTTER! Hell, I can see the same thing at MY HOUSE! I'm so INUNDATED with music that I listen to almost none of it. I need a REASON to listen. And it's not traditional. Hell, even AIRPLAY doesn't impress me. I've got to KNOW the person involved. Or else somebody NOT involved has to tell me it's happening. And these people I trust. The relationship isn't built in a day. And it's based on honesty. Ongoing veracity. And you overhype me once, break my trust once, and you're done."

How true! How true!

No comments:

Post a Comment