Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Clarett Case

Today's Globe has this article on Mike Vrabel and his views as an OSU alumni on the Maurice Clarett case. Clarett has come out with new charges against OSU, the coaches and administration. To what purpose? To claim some conversation around the water cooler? To create a marketing opportunity for a future NFL coach or owner to say: Let's go get this guy for our team!

Maurice, you are getting some bad advice. Those talking to you must have dollar signs in their eyes to cloud their judgement.

As a coach, would I take this guy on my team? Granted he has some talent and can perform. But how would he fit in the locker room and on the practice field with the rest of the team? I don't think I'd take him. It might very well be more trouble than the gains that could come from it.

I hope the almighty dollar does not rule in this case. If it does, he will end up with a big contract someday and likely continue to make headlines of the negative time. Yes, I have heard people say that there is no bad publicity. All publicity can sell tickets but that is not my way.

A sad case. One we are not likely to hear the end of anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment